Member Privileges & Conditions
We look forward to serving you as a Costco member. If you have any questions, please ask our member services personnel at any Costco membership counter or click Customer Service. Costco membership is subject to our Member Privileges & Conditions, which may change from time to time without prior notice.
- Membership is available to all qualifying individuals 18 years of age and over.
- Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant, and membership may be terminated at Costco's discretion and without cause.
- Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco, including our privacy policies and practices, and they may be amended from time to time without notice.
- Members are required to present a valid photo identification issued by the United States, Puerto Rico, Canadian Federal, State, or Provincial governments or any valid passport to sign up for membership.
Membership Cards and Fees
- Membership fee is for one 12-month period from the date of enrollment of the Primary Cardholder.
- Your membership card is valid at any Costco warehouse worldwide and is not transferable.
- You will be required to show your membership card when entering any Costco warehouse and when checking out at a payment register. Bar codes, photos or other copies are not acceptable.
- Your membership card must have a card number and recognizable, unobstructed full-face photo to be valid. If your photo is not on your card, only passports, as well as photo identification issued by the United States, Puerto Rico, Canadian Federal, State, or Provincial governments are acceptable forms of identification.
- Report lost or stolen cards to any Costco membership counter immediately or call 1-800-774-2678.
- Cards remain the property of Costco and must be returned upon request.
- Primary and Affiliate Members receive one additional card for one designated member of their household, who is over the age of 16 and living at the same address. When they receive their membership card, the designated household member must show proof that they live at the same address as the Primary or Affiliate Member and must have their photo taken and added to their card.
- Limit one Gold Star and one Business Membership, if applicable, per person. Costco reserves the right to treat businesses with the same or similar addresses or with identical, similar or related ownership as a single business and as such, limited to a single membership. Costco reserves the right to refuse, decline, or cancel a membership at any time.
- Certain merchandise, including prescription drugs and alcoholic beverages in some states, may be purchased by nonmembers where required by law.
- Certain merchandise may be purchased online by members or nonmembers. A nonmember pays 5% more than members for such merchandise. Online prices may exceed warehouse prices.
Renewing, Adding or Deleting Cards
- Renewal fees are due no later than the last day of the month your membership expires. You may remit your renewal fee by mail, online at Costco.com, or at any warehouse. Costco members may charge their membership fees automatically on any Visa® credit/debit card or Mastercard debit card. That card will be charged on the first day of your renewal month. If you have not signed up for auto renewal, your membership fee will be added to your first purchase at the warehouse after expiration.
- Membership renewal must be completed for all cardholders on the membership when the renewal is processed.
- You will not receive new membership cards each year.
- Memberships renewed within 2 months after expiration of the current membership year will be extended for 12 months from the expiration date. Memberships renewed more than 2 months after such expiration will be extended for 12 months from the renewal date. All renewals will be assessed at the membership fee in effect on the date the membership fee is paid.
- The Primary Member is responsible for the membership, and must authorize cardholder changes, including additions or deletions.
- The Primary Member may designate a current Costco member as a Personal Administrator or Business Administrator to make changes to the membership. Administrators are authorized to change the address, phone number, update communication preferences, and upgrade or renew the membership. The Administrator cannot remove the Primary Member or change Affiliate Members' personal information.
- Primary Business Members or Business Administrators may add additional Cardholders (Affiliates) to their membership. To add Affiliates to your Business Membership, visit the membership counter at any warehouse.
Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- We are committed to providing quality and value on the products we sell with a risk-free 100% satisfaction guarantee on both your membership and merchandise. Limited exceptions apply. See return policy for more information.
- Each item is marked with an item number or a UPC Code. The price of the item, along with the description and identifying number, is posted with the item.
- Costco warehouses accept: Visa cards, debit/ATM, cash, checks, EBT and Costco Shop Cards. Costco.com accepts: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, debit/ATM and Costco Shop Cards. Costco Gas Stations and Car Washes accept: Visa, debit/ATM and Costco Shop Cards.
- Photo identification and approval by a supervisor or manager may be required. Before paying by check, members are required to have a valid Driver's License, State, or Military ID issued by the United States, Puerto Rico or Canadian federal, state, or provincial governments, or any valid passport on file with Costco. Any exceptions must be approved by management. Personal checks must be pre-printed with the member's name and address and presented by the member. Members and nonmembers may use Costco Shop Cards to make certain purchases at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada, and online at Costco.com. Only members may purchase and reload Costco Shop Cards.
- Costco does not accept manufacturers' discount coupons (other than those distributed by Costco) or other retail establishment discount coupons.
- The Primary Member is responsible for purchases made by any additional cardholders.
- In the event that either the Primary Member or additional cardholder has a check returned by the bank, the Primary Member will pay the face amount of the check upon demand, plus a reasonable service charge and other expenses incurred. If any legal action is taken on behalf of Costco to collect payment on a check, the member writing the check will be liable for reasonable fees and costs of collection.
Sales and Use Taxes, and Resale Certificates
- The member agrees to pay Costco any sales, excise, use or ad valorem tax that is imposed on the sale price of the items purchased, which may be based on the price before any discounts or promotions. The member agrees that they will hold Costco harmless and indemnify Costco from any claim, loss, assessment or expense occasioned by non-payment of tax to Costco.
- If any merchandise is being purchased for resale and an exemption from tax is sought, the member shall have a valid resale license number on file with Costco and shall notify the cashier prior to recording the sale. Such declaration, and the products purchased thereunder, shall be recorded on a "Certificate for Resale." Sales tax will not be charged at the time of purchase only on those products the member states are specifically for resale; all other products subject to tax will be deemed taxable.
- To purchase tobacco products for resale, Business Members must report and qualify, which includes the following: The business address on the membership must match the commercial business address (P. O. Boxes are not eligible), and the business must report resale tobacco purchases to the MSA (Management Science Associates). If these requirements are not met, the member will not be eligible to purchase tobacco products for resale from Costco.
- In the event any product that was purchased for resale (tax free) is subsequently consumed or used in any manner other than for resale that creates or imposes a sales or use tax, the member agrees to report and pay to the proper taxing authority any tax due, including penalties and interest.
- Resale of liquor is prohibited except where allowed by state law.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn on Costco property at all times.
- Members are welcome to bring children and up to two guests into the warehouse; members are responsible for their children and guests. Children should not be left unattended. Only Costco members may purchase items.
- It is Costco's intent to provide a shopping environment free from all forms of harassment and discrimination for employees, applicants, independent contractors, members and suppliers. We prohibit all forms of harassment and discrimination.
- Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, or other bag, upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
- To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
- Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
- Costco policy prohibits firearms and other weapons to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law-enforcement officers.
- Animals are not permitted in Costco warehouses unless required by law.