Generac Home Standby Generators
Power. Our lives depend on it.
Generac invented the home standby generator category in 1977, and we still engineer and build them right here in Wisconsin. Today our U.S. manufacturing facilities are state of the art, and our products lead the industry in quality, breadth of offering, and innovation.
1Utility power is lost. Maybe it’s a storm or an equipment failure. In any case, the electricity you’re dependent on is suddenly gone.
2The Generator automatically detects a problem. Within seconds, your generator prepares to restore your home’s power
3The Generator automatically turns on. Your generator is up to speed and generating electricity.
4Electricity is restored. The automatic transfer switch sends generator power to your home and will continue providing power until your main power source returns.
5Utility power is restored. Your generator system detects when utility power is returned and restores utility power to your home. The system then returns the generator to standby mode.
Receive Mobile Link™ Remote Monitoring FREE with every Generac Guardian Series Home Standby Generator.
During a utility power outage, an automatic backup generator provides numerous advantages over a portable generator:
- The American Red Cross recommends permanently installed backup generators as a safer way to provide backup power to a home than a portable generator.
- With an automatic backup generator properly installed outside, your home is protected from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning that is a much greater risk with portable generators.
- Running on the home’s natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply, it is less expensive to run than gasoline and sources, such as natural gas, do not need to be refilled.
- They start automatically within seconds of a power outage, and eliminate the need to haul a portable generator outside or run extension cords throughout your home.
- They provide protection 24/7, whether you’re home or away, and they turn themselves off when utility power returns, so there is no need to monitor the unit during an outage.
Generac is one of the few companies to offer premium aluminum enclosures for its residential backup generators. Aluminum enclosures are naturally rust and corrosion resistant. For salt air or high humidity conditions, aluminum is highly recommended to ensure decades of worry free service.
Whether you live in the suburbs, the country or off the grid, we have a home standby solution that can be tailored to your home and property, and the type of fuel service that is available to you.
- Natural Gas (NG) The preferred fuel, when it’s available. It burns clean, is inexpensive, and can supply a generator indefinitely. Line pressure will be checked by the installer to ensure it’s sufficient.
- Liquid Propane (LP) This clean-burning fuel is stored in a pressurized outdoor tank that needs periodic refills. Commonly used when natural gas is not available.
- Diesel Although it’s not flammable and its tank isn’t pressurized, it doesn’t burn as cleanly as natural gas or propane. If using diesel, make sure the fuel is stabilized to keep it fresh.
The transfer switch is an essential part of the home backup system. Its primary function is to prevent your home from being powered by utility and generator power at the same time. If utility power is lost, the generator control panel senses the loss and tells the transfer switch to close off the connection with utility and complete the connection with the generator so it can begin providing power to the home.
Schedule a Consultation
Scheduling is disabled because Personalized Advertising is turned off in your cookie settings. Update your cookie settings
This home improvement product and service is available in select locations. Please call Costco at 1-866-455-1788 for availability in your area.
Full Terms and Conditions provided at consultation.
In some locations, Costco only sells the product and Costco does not offer or perform installation services. For installation in those locations, Costco will recommend a dealer and you will need to pay the dealer separately.
Special order merchandise, custom merchandise and installed merchandise cannot be returned or refunded after the expiration of your three business day right-to-cancel period. This is an exception to Costco’s standard return policy.
Costco Contractor License/Registration List